Trouble Shooting Slow Speeds
Troubleshooting Slow Connections
Slow internet connections happen for various reasons, even when you pay for a ‘highspeed connection’ like Fiber Internet. Because the internet (and World Wide Web) is built on hundreds of different technologies trying to talk to each other, there are many places where data can slow down before its reaches your computer screen. There are many other factors to look at. Some of these slow points are within your control, and can be quickly fixed with a little do-it-yourself effort.
- You might have poor hardware connecting your machine to the wall.
- Maybe your modem-router is not configured correctly.
- Perhaps you have dishonest people leeching your wireless connection from across the alley.
- Your network interface card (NIC) is older and slower hardware.
- Spyware or Malware may be infecting your machine, and secretly using your Internet bandwidth.
- A download may be active in the background, and you are unaware of it.
- Browser memory cache may be full or corrupt.
- Radio or microwave devices in your home might be degrading your internet wireless signal.
- You have left windows open in the background, and they are clogging your computer CPU.
- A dialog box is sitting open in the computer background, stalling your computer CPU while it awaits your yes/no input.
If you think that your internet connection is slow, we recommend checking the following:
Technical Support is available 24/7 365 to assist with troubleshooting internet connections.